TURIN, the Augusta Taurinorum of Roman times, was founded by Celtic tribes who had intermarried with the Ligurians. Caesar granted it Roman citizenship. A duchy under the Longobards, then a county under the French, it passed finally into the hands of the House of Savoy, who gradually made it their capital.
Our visit begins with the square which takes its name from the XIII century Castle, built on the ruins of a Roman gateway. One side of it still exhibits the grim appearance of a turreted medieval castle; the other, the graceful charm of a Baroque facade, designed, by the architect Juvara (1718). The Castle houses the Museum of Ancient Art. Leaving Piazza Castello, and passing the Baroque church of S. Lorenzo, designed by Guarini, with its whimsical dome, we reach the neighbouring Piazza Reale with the impressive Royal Palace (1658): here is to be found the Armoury, one of the richest collections of ancient arms in the world. Behind the Palace stands the finely proportioned Cathedral, the work of Tuscan builders (1498) and rich in works of art, which include a Polyptych by Defendente Ferrari; in a domed chapel designed by Guarini, is the Holy Sindon which, according to. legend, was used to wrap the dead body of Christ. Just close by are to be found the most impressive Roman remains in Turin, the Palatine Towers, an ancient gateway set in the Augustan walls.
By taking Via Milano, we reach the XVII century Palazzo di Citta; in Piazza di Citta stands Palazzo Carignano, a graceful and sober Baroque building in brick (1680), which contains the Risorgimento Museum. From here, passing beside the Church of S. Filippo (paintings by Solimena and Maratta), we come to the Academy of Sciences which contains the two great collections of Turin: the Egyptian Museum, one of the richest in the world, and the Sabauda Gallery.
Given the size of these two collections, we suggest that the first be visited at the end of the morning and the second after lunch, which maybe eaten in one We advise visitors to spend a morning seeing the Superga Basilica, Comnissioned by Victor Amadcus 11 to commemorate the saving of Turin from the French during the siege of 1706. In the afternoon, a visit could be made to the "Palazzina di Caccia" (hunting lodge) at Stupinigi, a typical piece of Piedmontese Baroque, now housing a Museum or to the magnificent city of SUSA (33 miles) at the foot of Mont Cenis, with its astonishing Arch, built by the local ruler Cozio (in 8 B.C.) in honour of Augustus, its massive Roman walls and its Romanesque Cathedral, all set against the majestic background of the Alps.